Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 11:36:36 AM
Home Help Calendar Login Register
News: Keeping the Fleet informed and afloat & helping new owners get the most out of their Pro-Line Boat.

collapse
+  Proline Boat Owners Community
|-+  Main Forums
| |-+  Recent Model groups
| | |-+  Express & XP Series
| | | |-+  28 Pro-Line Express or 29 Pro-Line Express
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 28 Pro-Line Express or 29 Pro-Line Express  (Read 16475 times)
mdl1972

« on: August 03, 2012, 05:38:45 AM »

Just wondering if anyone else out there had a 28/29 Pro-Line express.  Would love to hear your impressions and challenges.

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
a7ewizard

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:15:44 PM »

Can you review your boat for us???

If I ever move up from my 251, a 28/29 walk or a refurbished 2810 would probably be the PL models I would consider.

Warren

'98 251 w/ VP 5.7 duo-prop
'06 24 SS w/ 225 Suzuki
mdl1972

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »

Sure, I will be happy to share some thoughts.

My experiences come from having put about 100 hours - mainly offshore fishing and some short runs in the intracoastal waterway and have spent about 10 nights on the boat with my son 'camping' at the dock.

Let me get the specs out of the way..
The boat was named 28 Express in 2006 and the 29 Express in 2007+.  I recently went onto Pro-Line's web site and it doesn't appear that they are offering this model any longer.
Designer: Brett Pearmann
LOA: 29'4"
Beam: 9' 8"
Draft: 22 Inches
Deadrise: 22 deg
Fuel: 200
Dry weight: 7,500lbs
Trailer weight: 10,000lbs
Fresh Water: 39 gallons

The bow on this boat is huge.  I think it is tall enough for a 6' person to stand without their head touching the ceiling.  This provides a lot of room in the cabin for a very comfortable V birth that is probably about the size of a queen mattress when together.  The aft berth is big enough for a good size man or a couple of children and is not as comfortable as the forward berth, but gets the job done.  My boat is configured with heat/air, stove, microwave, hot water heater, fridge, tv and DVD player.  In the 2006 model, Pro-Line missed out on storage opportunities.  The only real storage in the bow is under the v berth seats, which is open to the forward bilge, so storing things there long term might not be the best option - especially if the boat stays in the water.  I have the teak and holly floor, which is easy on the feet and nice to look at.  The table in the v berth is pneumatic and adjusts down to become the support for when you turn the berth into a bed.  There are several cup holders mounted in the cabin and there is ample lighting, which consists of three adjustable spots, a ceiling light in the aft berth and a fluorescent lamp in the head.  There is a nice sized counter in the ‘kitchen’ that has a sink and faucet and a stove mounted to the right of it.  The microwave is a little underpowered and will not make popcorn, but it will heat your meals, providing you have a generator or are hooked up to shore power.  One nice feature is that the LED courtesy lights are on the back deck, the cockpit and in the cabin and you can leave these on without much of a concern over draining batteries.  The stand up head is standard for boats of similar size.  There is ample storage in the head for TP or other things.  The faucet has a mounting bracket on the wall that lets you use it as a shower.  It is nice to have the hot water heater (even though it is a little small)!  The air conditioning will get the cabin down to about 72 deg when it is about 90+ deg outside and water temp is in the high 80s.

The cockpit of the boat has two seats.  Again, Pro-line missed some storage opportunities here, but the helm is large and nicely laid out.  Everything is easy to get to and see.  It is hinged and opens easily if you need access to anything.  Mine as most models, has the hard top which is very well made and contours to the lines of the boat.  Behind the helm seat, there is a 35 gallon livewell.  It is huge and does a very good job.  Water does tend to leak out of it when the lid is closed and you are under way, so it isn't a good idea to stand behind it if you want to stay dry. Under the livewell is a raw water washdown.   Behind the passenger seat there is a jump seat and some tackle storage that will hold 4 plano tackle trays.  It would have been nice to have some drawers that lock as most offshore tackle won't really fit into those tackle trays.  The hard top has 4 rod holders.  The lower two are easy to access, but the upper two can be a challenge as they are mounted a little high for me.  The rods do get in the way of deploying the outriggers, so there is a little dance you have to do to get the outriggers out.  My boat also has an anchor windless and a remote control spotlight, both of which come in handy.  My boat is equipped with a 4kw open array Raymarine radar, E120 display, GPS, DSM300 and a 1KW transom mount transducer and a killer 6 speaker with a sub Sony stereo.

The back deck is moderate in size and is enough for 4 adult men to go offshore fishing and just enough room to stay out of each others way.  In the back deck there are two huge fish boxes.  I am not really a fan of fish boxes built in the deck, but their size makes up for it.  They are either 125 gallon combined or 125 gallon each - I could sleep in one.  There is a large hatch on the back deck that opens into the bilge.  There is plenty of room to move around to do what you need to in the bilge.  There are four flush mount rod holders on the gunwales and srecessed storage for 6 smaller rods below.  There is a toe bar that is helpful when leaning over the side of the boat!  The gunwales are high enough where you do not have to worry about falling overboard. There is a transom sink with a fresh water shower that really comes in helpful when you want to cool off or just host the funk off of you.  Also in the transom is a fold down bench seat that will hold two adults.  This is by far the most comfortable place on the boat!

I have twin 225 Mercury Verados mounted on the back and the boat seems a little underpowered. You would likely do better with a minimum of 250s and I have a feeling 300s are probably best for this boat.  The motors are very quiet and the DTS is very nice after you get used to not having cables.  Loaded with fuel, water, gear and 4 people for a day offshore, I am guessing that the boat weighs between 11,000-12,000 lbs.  The 22 deg deadrise provides a very smooth ride.  As big as the bow is on this boat, it doesn't have a lot of flare to it, so under the right conditions (3-4 chop head sea) you will want the curtains up as it can be a very wet boat.  It may be wet, but the ride is very smooth.  This is coming from someone who has rods and pins in his back Smiley  I just can't take the beating of the smaller, lighter boats - been there, done that..  This boat tends to go through the water rather than over it.  With the bow being heavy, I find that I really only use the tabs to level out the ride - most of the time I am trimming the motors up.  Pro-Line mounted the motors on the bottom hole and my cavitation plate is burried when the boat is at a cruise.  The boat is also over propped with 17 Pitch Mirage Plus 3 bald props.  Empty, I can barely get to the minimum 5800 RPM required by Mercury.  This configuration causes the boat to race down a wave, plow through the next one and repeat - which can be a little difficult to manage and a lot of throttle adjustments.  Once I get the props/power straightened out, I think I will be very happy with the ride. 

On calm water and a very light load, I did get the boat up to 46-47MPH, so it is fairly fast for its size.  The fuel consumption is not the best and I have a feeling a lot factors into this.  A 14 hour day of fishing (4-5 hours running, the rest fishing) will burn about 130 gallons in 3-5 ft seas.

The steering is insane on this boat.  We were fishing the edge of the gulf stream in slop up to 7 ft and I could let go of the wheel and the boat would track straight!  I am not sure if this is the Mercury power steering or the hull or both, but I was really impressed!  The only problem I have with the steering is when I am trying to back it into my slip.  The motors are mounted close together, so that makes it a little difficult especially when a big gust of wind catches the big bow – it could use a bow thruster.

Overall, this boat is a very good compromise in so many areas and it is a really good buy if you can find a gently used one.  Sometimes I wish the boat had another 3 feet, but that seems to happen with every boat I own, so I don't really pay much attention to it.  This boat screams big bow, big cabin and although the hatches and finish may not be up to the level of Pursuit or Everglades, you really to get a lot for your money.  The hull is solid and there is not any wood.  The other reason I chose this boat was because it can be towed if you need to - the 32 is just too big to do that.   Also, you really need a generator to make this a true overnight boat unless you want to be tied to shore power.  At the end of the day I would buy this boat again.

Pro-Line still has the page for this boat active - just not on the menu.  If you want to take a look, it is at http://www.prolineboats.com/Boats/Express_29.html

Hope this helps. Cheers

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
a7ewizard

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »

Really great review!

A few more questions: When conditions are sloppy, its nice to hold a low (15-20 knot) cruise to avoid a pounding. Will your boat do this? My friends 305 Robalo (twin Yamaha 250s) is either running 8-10 or 25+ knots. Below 4000rpm it bogs and falls off plane..not a well balanced boat IMO.

Can a 6 foot person stretch out comfortable in the "V"?? How about the mid-berth?

Does the bilge and cabin access areas allow one to get to the pumps and plumbing? The batteries? Fairly easily?

Thanks for your contribution!

'98 251 w/ VP 5.7 duo-prop
'06 24 SS w/ 225 Suzuki
mdl1972

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »

Really great review!

A few more questions: When conditions are sloppy, its nice to hold a low (15-20 knot) cruise to avoid a pounding. Will your boat do this? My friends 305 Robalo (twin Yamaha 250s) is either running 8-10 or 25+ knots. Below 4000rpm it bogs and falls off plane..not a well balanced boat IMO.

Can a 6 foot person stretch out comfortable in the "V"?? How about the mid-berth?

Does the bilge and cabin access areas allow one to get to the pumps and plumbing? The batteries? Fairly easily?

Thanks for your contribution!

1. Currently, my boat does not maintain a low cruise in slop and it does act similarly to your friends 305, but I am trying to resolve that.  It has to do with where the cavitation plates are when you are at cruise speed (they should be out of the water and getting splashed), HP and prop selection (# blades, pitch, diameter, cup, etc..).  4 blade props will keep you on a plane at lower speeds, but you will lose a little of the top end.  This boat doesn't really pound - it may throw you around a little in rough seas.  Right now it wants to go through the waves, so when you hit one, it really slows you down.  I have a ongoing thread about this over at veradoclub.com http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=6602.0 and another over at thehulltruth.com http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/426472-prop-assistance-28-pro-line-express-twin-225-verados.html

2. I am 5'8" and I can stretch out - I dont think 6' would have a problem on either berth.

3. The access to the rear bilge is very easy to get to.  The batteries are located in the bilge (at least a foot off the floor.  Mine doesn't have a generator, so everything is pretty easy to get to.   The forward bilge is a little different and isn't easily accessible.  The access is in the aft berth and you have to take some plates off to get to things.

Hope this helps.

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
Electric blue

If Anyone Else on West Sound Love to Hear From You

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »

I have the Same Boat, read all the replies you received. Wondering what you wound up doing.

I am just beginning my research

Any insight will help
mdl1972

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

I have the Same Boat, read all the replies you received. Wondering what you wound up doing.

I am just beginning my research

Any insight will help

One thing that really helped was reprogramming the PCMs from 225 to 300hp from http://www.simonmotorsports.com/
I find that the motors are able to maintain speed and don't bog nearly as much as they used to.  I haven't changed anything else yet.  What motors do you have (brand and year)?

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
Electric blue

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »

Thanks For the Reply

2006 225 Verado's
mdl1972

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »

Thanks For the Reply

2006 225 Verado's

Have you been over to veradoclub.com?  It is worth the $50 a year for the members section.. 

How long have you had the boat?  What are your impressions?

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
Electric blue

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »

This will be my 5th Season, with the Boat

Love it.. just wish there was a location to add another 100 Gallon tank some where

the distance I have to travel offshore is a lot, and extra 100 gallons would really help

mdl1972

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:31 PM »

I have wondered about that also and the only thing I can think to do is get one (or two) removable custom tank(s) or bladder(s) for the in deck fish boxes and plumb them into the fuel lines.  Speaking of the in deck boxes - does your starboard (right) box fill with water?

I burn about 115 Gallons running out 40-50 miles, trolling all day, then back 40-50 miles. If I want to go to the other side of the stream for Tuna, it is about 120 miles each way..

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
Electric blue

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 05:59:55 AM »

Both of my deck boxes fill with water. Very Annoying. I am Thinking of cutting the hose and inserting some kind of Y   valve  and letting the water drain into the bilges. & when  I need the pump slide the valve opposite direction . make it work like an head overboard discharge system. but as you know  where they put the pumps and hoses not the easiest place to work. if it was would have installed this type of system long ago.

I set my 100 gal bladder up with hoses and valves directly to the fuel water separators  and bladder is set up with outboard hose fuel tank fitting. only down side it take up a lot of deck space.

I burn about 70 gal to get to the fishing ground and last 30 while trolling. This System gives me about 130 gals of fuel to troll. and 100 to get back home.

mdl1972

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 07:55:49 PM »

Electric blue - do you still have your boat?  Did you figure out a solution to the deck boxes?  I gasketed mine which is working pretty well so far.  I also dropped to 15 pitch props and that made a night and day difference - completely different boat now.

2006 Pro-Line 28 Express
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

* Say Hello to our Newest Members!

* Donations
Help support the
Proline Boat Owners Community Forum.
All donations received will help in the development, hosting and maintenance of the site.

* Who's Online
  • Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Random Photo
There are no pictures in the gallery.